SutekoWriter

The best books you never read

I am both a reader and a writer. I find that the best writers are in fact avid readers. I love books of all kinds but I really adore reading new authors who are just getting their feet wet. Some of the very best writers are now found in the indie set. These reviews will be of books I have devoured in my never ending quest for good fiction. Some will be up and comers who have hit the top of the chart, but most will be struggling new writers who deserve a second look.

Wither by Lauren Destefano

Wither - Lauren DeStefano

The first time I tried to read this book I was tired of the whole dystopian YA novels. Having this told in first person grated on me, but like a wise woman I put the book aside and decided to read it again at a later date. It is a good thing I did. On a day where I was cold and not feeling well this turned out to be a good read.

As I stated earlier this is a dystopian novel. Due to some bad mistakes made by science  most of the world has been destroyed and those who are alive are either First Generation, genetically bred to be perfect or their doomed children. See male children only live till they are 25 and females till they are 20, before they died coughing up blood from the Virus.

Rhine is the daughter of two first generation scientists who were killed in an explosion. She has been kidnapped away from her twin brother and loaded into a van with a bunch of other young girls to be offered as wives to the son of a first generation doctor.

This novel starts out a bit slow for me but it slowly sneaks in a tale of longing, of understanding and of death, for as we read two of her sister-wives die. You become attached to these characters without meaning to and I, for one, can see how this novel would make a great movie much like Divergent, The Host and even the HungerGames style.

While it is not as action packed as those other novels, it has a heart that I find lacking in those other books. Where at one point I thought of selling my hardcover copy of this novel, I now plan on picking up the other two books in this series to see how Rhine makes it through the remaining four years of her life.