SutekoWriter

The best books you never read

I am both a reader and a writer. I find that the best writers are in fact avid readers. I love books of all kinds but I really adore reading new authors who are just getting their feet wet. Some of the very best writers are now found in the indie set. These reviews will be of books I have devoured in my never ending quest for good fiction. Some will be up and comers who have hit the top of the chart, but most will be struggling new writers who deserve a second look.

Flower Fairies of the Wayside by Cicely Mary Barker

Flower fairies of the wayside: Poems and pictures - Cicely Mary Barker

This tiny, little book is a very sweet thing. I picked this up for my daughter at a used bookstore simply because it was filled with fairies. I had not looked at it in the two years since i picked it up but last next I just sat down and flipped through it.

This little book is filled with simple poetry and wonderful little paintings. Originally published way back in the 1920s, they stand up to the test of time. Any fan of fairy art will love this book.

The poems are simple, a great introduction to poetry to the younger reader, but a perfect book for those of us who write short form poetry.

It is nice to see something that is truly ageless.